Saturday, June 13, 2009

PCPA 2nd Week




My second week with PCPA has come and gone...

On Tuesday I got sent home in the morning because I got sick, and then later figured out that I had food poisoning.  So I took off most of Tuesday and all of Wednesday.  I had never had food poisoning before, and never want to go through that again...

So here are the list of projects I had this week:

Monday June 8th:
  • Finished putting plexi-glass into lanterns for Music Man.
  • Went to PCPA's storage units for the first time.  That was pretty cool! They have these two big warehouses full of old prop pieces. It's just across the street from where the prop shop/scene shop is.  Lots and lots of stuff. Makes Linfield's storage look silly.  Though, it's not very well organized either...  I think that might be ALL storage units for theatre... Haha. See pictures of PCPA storage below:

Tuesday June 9th:
  • Started spray painting chairs for Spelling Bee. Here are pictures of the unpainted chairs:


  • Then I got sick and had to go home.
Thursday June 11th:
  • Attached 4 "train benches" to "wagons" for Music Man. (Did this with Tim! Another one of the interns. He's hilarious!)
  • Then I got assigned to one of the worst jobs ever... but I guess that comes with the territory of being an intern... I had to sort out all the fabric that was collected in prop storage in these big bins... it was really gross.. and took hours... and it was miserable...
Friday June 12th:
  • Finished spray painting the chairs by touching up the paint job, taking off the tape that covered the legs, and that sort of stuff. Pictures of the finished chairs are posted below:



  • Then I cut and surged silk together to make a big ribbon thing for a ribbon dancer... then I put the silk ribbon on a stick... this merely a mock up of what we might be making for Music Man if they like this one... It was pretty! I like it!
  • Then I was faced with the project of making uniform boxes for the Music Man.  These boxes need to be lightweight but sturdy as heck so that the actors can dance with them and throw them about haphazardly... So the plan is to build a wooden frame made out of 1x and then covered with cardboard.  They will then be covered with brown paper.  So I made a cut list for the 1x, and then started cutting the 1x.  I used the table-saw and the radial arm saw.  Luckily all the equipment in the scene shop at PCPA is the same as the equipment at Linfield. So I cut almost all the wood needed, but then it was time to clean up, so I didn't finish them. 
Saturday June 13th:
  • Moved all the props for Spelling Bee from the prop shop and rehearsal room to the Marian Theatre in Santa Maria. Then used the pre-set list and preset the props. This show is very prop-light so it only took like an hour.

And that was the basics of everything I did at work this week. Lots of fun! It was great!
Another week of propping to come.

No comments: